Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: how do you chop your broccoli?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member robert_cissell's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    i was wondering all of your different editing styles. what do you use? i want to try out different things to see what's best so i need some input into how i should go about it.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Are you talking about actual types of editing cuts, such as cutaways, dissolves, etc, or ways to edit, like computer (nle) editing, film editing, etc?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member robert_cissell's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i am very familiar with computer editing. that is what i do now. but i've never done any actual film editing. what kind of equipment do i need etc?

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The basics for film editing are a viewer and a splicer (either tape or cement)

    I am exclusively an editor on film (Nothing against NLE, I just enjoy projection)

    Generally speaking what I do is assemble a list of my shots coming back from the lab with their usabilty and location on the reels in Microsoft Excel, and then edit the list with Excel into the order I would like them in in the finished film. This becomes my cut list when I sit down at the editing bench.

    I use a clear plastic divided case to keep the shots organised while I'm editing.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member robert_cissell's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    thanks. i'm interested in buying the set up to do that. i was looking on ebay and they seem pretty cheap. do you have any suggestions of what i should look for. i've always done nle so i don't know much about this style.

  6. #6
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you can afford the transfer costs to video, it might be cool to transfer the film to video before chopping your broccoli.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'd say don't go too cheap on your viewer. I used to have a Baia viewer which the picture was dim and never sharp enough. In a low contrast situation like some daylight B&W work, it was almost impossible to see what was happening on the film. I edited a pretty complex 300 footer with this nasty thing last fall and I felt like I was going blind!

    My wife bought me a reconditioned viewer from Chambless for Christmas and it is a joy to work with:

    http://www.chamblesscineequip.com/Default.htm

    (one of the best Christmas presents I've gotten as an adult!!)

    There are billions of splicers out there. I use this nice steel cement splicer I bought at the local department store as a teenager and it suits me just fine. Other folks are into tape splicing, and more power to them! Chambless has quite a few in editing supplies. E-bay usually has a selection as well.

  8. #8
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I like Wurker Splicers. the hervic's are OK, but they do wear out after a while and you have to replace the plastic film guide.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •